Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review - Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix Bar Tape

I bought my Bianchi back in 2003. Since that time, it has been ridden many miles but I have yet to change the bar tape. Today, I decided to give to a bike that has given me so much. After a discussion with Josh at The Bicycle Shop in Baton Rouge, I chose to use the Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix tape to redress my ride. I have never changed bar tape before so I solicited as much advice from Josh as possible.


 As you can see from the photos below, the tape had gotten more than a little grimy. The dirt never really bothered me but recently, the tape has lost a lot of cushioning and had begun to tear during rides.


Peeling back the brifter hoods revealed just how nasty the tape had become. The hoods will have to be peeled back like below to allow you to remove and reinstall the tape properly.


To begin, the old tape must first be removed. Start with removing the bar end cap.


Once the cap is removed, peel off the finishing tape and any other adhesive tape securing the bar tape.


Next, unravel the old bar tape.



If your old tape was adhesively backed, there will be some cleaning before you apply the new tape. I used isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel. It worked well at getting the old glue off. Below are before and after shots of the left over glue.



After you have cleaned the bar, the first step in applying the new tape is to cover the brifter clamp. Specialized provided a precut strap of tape with the package.


 Although "precut," the amount was generous and still needed to be trimmed to prevent sloppy overlap.


It was finally time to focus on wrapping the bar. Begin near the bar end, where the plug will fit in. In order to have a tidy end product, begin with leaving about 1/3 to half of the tape hanging over the edge (this will fold in when the plug is installed and leave a professional look to the finished product).


Make almost a complete revolution before progressing up the bar. Remember to keep constant tension while wrapping. A little tension will help the tape stay in place under stress (such as sprinting). Too much tension and you risk ripping the tape.


Progress up the bar overlapping the tape by roughly 1/3 with each revolution. Proceed to the brifter clamp and ensure you cover the area surrounding the first strap of tape that was placed.



When wrapping around the brifter clamp, rely on the first strap of tape to fill in the gap. Do not attempt to criss-cross the tape to make it pretty; it will only make things worse. Merely wrap PAST the clamp and continue to the top portion of the bar.


Continue to wrap around the top of the bar until you reach the bulge in the middle. Pay close attention while wrapping to how you ride, if you ride more on the hoods or in the drops. Wrapping with more overlap in those areas will provide you with more cushion where you need it most. Just remember not to overlap too much or you may run out of tape.



As you approach the center bulge, make sure to have your scissors at the ready. At the center bulge, use the scissors to cut the tape as it will lay to make a nice, even end in appearance.


Using the supplied finishing tape (although my local shop prefers electrical tape), secure the end of the roll in place.


The photo below shows the nearly finished product. The left side is completely wrapped and the end plug has been fitted. Notice how the right side has overhanging tape at the bar end. This is the excess that will be fitted into the plug.


Using both hands, stuff as much of the excess tape into the bar end and secure it using the plug.


The finished product!


The last piece of advice I have is this: Save the trimming! You will undoubtedly end up with some extra tape at the end of the process. Save this tape. The next time you wrap your handle bars, remember where your hands need extra comfort and lay these strips over the bar in those areas. Wrapping over these strips will provide you with additional cushion right where you need it!


The increase in comfort was immediate and much appreciated! The tape has a suede-like surface that provides a secure level of grip. I have ridden with the new tape but have not taken it out on a wet ride yet. I suspect the wet grip will be drastically better than the original cork tape. Over-all I am extremely pleased with the quality of the bar tape and I suspect it will be my go to next time I need to rewrap my bars.

5 comments:

  1. u nailed the electrical tape part..so clean.. most people eff that part up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pre-cut the e-tape and stick it to the stem/middle of bar. When you get to the end of the handlebar tape wrapping, just grab it and stick it on. It'll stay clean and go on easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea! That definitely would have made the process easier.

      Delete
  3. One thing worth considering: The way I ride my road bike I almost never grip the drop bars; I prefer a more upright riding position. So, the only wear on my OEM tape is between the brake/shifters to where the tape ends. So, using the same color, I just replaced the top portion of the tape - an easier job and I had some tape left over for patch jobs or perhaps a double wrap where I might need more padding.

    ReplyDelete